Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
简介Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov announced plans for an October visit to Pyongyang following t ...
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov announced plans for an October visit to Pyongyang following the North Korea-Russia summit earlier this month, intensifying speculation about increased military cooperation between the two nations.
"In accordance with the decision of (North Korean leader) Kim Jong-un and (Russian President Vladimir) Putin, we will arrange my talks in Pyongyang, which may indeed take place next month," Lavrov was quoted as saying by Russian news agency TASS during a press conference after the annual United Nations General Assembly on Saturday.
Lavrov's remarks reaffirm the Kremlin's statement that Putin's potential visit to North Korea -- the first since the Kim Jong-un regime began in 2011 -- will follow Lavrov's expected visit to Pyongyang in October to meet his North Korean counterpart, Choe Son-hui.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Sept. 14 Kim invited Putin to visit North Korea and Putin "gratefully accepted" the invitation, calling the high-level talks between Pyongyang and Moscow "very, very constructive."
During Kim's visit to Russia from Sept. 12-17, Kim reportedly invited Putin to visit North Korea "at a convenient time," according to Pyongyang's state-run Korean Central News Agency, and Putin "accepted the invitation with pleasure."
Saturday's confirmation of the visit to North Korea stands in contrast to a similar situation four years ago, when potential high-level talks in Pyongyang reported by KCNA did not come to fruition following the summit between Kim and Putin in Russia.
Lavrov, meanwhile, noted in a speech at the UN General Assembly on Saturday that the building of ties between South Korea, Japan and the United States from the outset of the trilateral summit at Camp David has left the Korean Peninsula unsettled, and that Washington is to blame for the circumstances.
"It is alarming that Washington and its Asian allies are whipping up military hysteria on the Korean Peninsula, where the strategic potential of the US is accumulating," he said.
"Russian and Chinese initiatives to give priority to humanitarian and political tasks are rejected."
Top diplomats of South Korea, Japan and the United States denounced the possible arms deal between the two isolated countries, amid converging needs that could be mutually fulfilled. Russia is reportedly running out of ammunition to sustain the prolonged war with Ukraine, while North Korea has largely been lackluster in its progress to achieve its military ambitions, such as the launch of a space satellite for military purposes.
South Korea's Foreign Ministry said in a statement Saturday that Foreign Minister Park Jin briefly met with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Japanese Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa during his trip to New York, and warned that any potential arms deal between Pyongyang and Moscow would be in violation of UN Security Council resolutions that Russia itself voted for.
China, another UN Security Council member nation, appears to have kept its distance from the talks between North Korea and Russia.
First Vice Foreign Minister Chang Ho-jin on Saturday said in Hangzhou, China, that, during the talks between Prime Minister Han Duck-soo and Chinese President Xi Jinping that lasted for about 30 minutes, the matters of North Korea-Russia ties were "barely mentioned."
Chang added that talks between Pyongyang and the Kremlin "have nothing to do with China."
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said on Sept. 12 that Kim’s visit to Russia "is something between their two countries." She added that she "(doesn't) have anything to share" about the possible high-level meeting between North Korea and China, while Putin on Wednesday accepted Xi's invitation to visit China in October.
Oh Young-ju, formerly ambassador to Vietnam, has been nominated as the new minister of SMEs and star ...
South Korea, the United States and Japan joined forces for an unprecedented aerial exercise south of ...
With next year’s general election for the National Assembly looming, President Yoon Suk Yeol and his ...
- Can 'Singles Inferno' boost basketball's popularity?
- Concerns grow over rise of fall webworm
- Touting historic ties with Saudi Arabia, Yoon calls for new partnership for growth
- Samsung Biologics to offer solutions for Kurma Partners' portfolio firms
- Generational shift looms in SK leadership
- Hyundai partners with Saudi firms to build hydrogen mobility ecosystem
- Samsung Electronics accounts for 84% of Q3 smartphone sales
- Hanwha Ocean to raise capital for wind power business
- ‘Gyeongseong Creature’ to lead year
- CATL reduces gap with LG Energy Solution
- Top chefs gather to create innovative dishes with Korean ingredients
- Jeju female divers 'haenyeo' listed as FAO agricultural heritage system
- Kakao CEO apologizes for SM stock manipulation allegations
- 49th Seoul Independent Film Festival aims to encourage indie filmmakers working in tough times
- Yoon's approval rating falls for first time in 3 weeks to 34.7%
- 이동관 탄핵땐 방통위 1명 남아, 방송 재승인·재허가 올스톱
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- 'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
- S. Korea, US, Japan stage trilateral maritime interdiction drills for 1st time in 7 years
- US strategic bomber B
- “이게 KF
- 유승민 “안철수·이준석, 초상집서 상주끼리 그만 싸워라”
- Import prices rise for 3rd month on higher oil costs
- [Today’s K
- New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- S. Korea, Latin America to discuss ways to boost trade, ICT cooperation
- GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- "위성사진까지 대조한다" 밭에서 4억원어치 보물 캐는 사람들
- US toughens rules on exports of advanced computing chips to China
- Seoul shares open lower on tech, battery slump
- '2023 Box Gallery Exhibition' by Youth Impact shows art made of discarded paper
- BTS' Jungkook headed to Paris as MTV EMA nominee, performer
- 안철수 측 "심장이상? 허위" 장성철 "安 쓰러져 심폐소생술"
- BTS Jungkook's star