Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
简介South Korean stocks closed lower for the second consecutive day Friday amid concerns the US Federal ...
South Korean stocks closed lower for the second consecutive day Friday amid concerns the US Federal Reserve may keep its benchmark lending rate higher for longer. The local currency climbed against the US dollar.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index had declined 6.84 points, or 0.27 percent, to finish at 2,508.13.
Trading volume was moderate at 425.5 million shares worth 6.9 trillion won ($5.2 billion), with decliners outpacing winners 595 to 285.
Individuals purchased a total of 206.5 billion won, while offshore investors and institutions sold off 126.9 billion won and 97.6 billion won worth of local shares, respectively.
All three US stock indexes fell Thursday (US time) as investors' risk appetite dwindled after the Fed hinted it may go for another rate hike later this year after a rate-freeze decision.
"The US Fed's hawkish stance and high rates still put pressure on the domestic stock markets, but the Bank of Japan's decision to keep its monetary easing policy and the strong performance of China's stock market eased some pressure," Park Kwang-nam, an analyst at Mirae Asset Securities, said.
In Seoul, big-cap shares were mixed.
Market bellwether Samsung Electronics dropped 0.15 percent to 68,800 won, while No. 2 chipmaker SK hynix gained 0.69 percent to 117,300 won.
Leading battery maker LG Energy Solution was up 0.82 percent to 491,000 won but its smaller rival Samsung SDI retreated 0.93 percent to 533,000 won.
Top carmaker Hyundai Motor dipped 0.21 percent to 191,500 won, while its smaller affiliate Kia added 0.5 percent to 80,200 won.
IT stocks ended in negative terrain.
Internet portal operator Naver lost 0.95 percent to 208,000 won, and Kakao, the operator of the country's top mobile messenger, fell 1.31 percent to 45,050 won.
Steel giant POSCO Holdings also lost 1.39 percent to 569,000 won and its battery component-making affiliate POSCO Future M dropped 0.5 percent to 396,000 won.
Leading chemical producer LG Chem was down 1.52 percent to 517,000 won.
The Korean won ended at 1,336.80 won against the US dollar, up 2.9 won from Thursday's close.
Bond prices, which move inversely to yields, closed higher. The yield on three-year Treasurys declined 5.4 basis points to 3.876 percent and the return on the benchmark five-year government bonds retreated 5.2 basis points to 3.921 percent. (Yonhap)
Daewoo Engineering & Construction Chairman Jung Won-ju has recently engaged with industry leaders an ...
LG Uplus Corp., South Korea's No. 3 mobile carrier, said Tuesday its third-quarter net profit d ...
In the basement of its Seoul headquarters, South Korean lender Woori Bank has been running a small o ...
- [Herald Review] Munich Philharmonic sets milestones with Lim Yun
- Celltrion posts record earnings in Q3, buoyed by upbeat biosimilar sales
- Hyundai E&C completes design of new hydrogen plant
- 홍준표 "뜬금없이 김포 편입론, 반짝 특수 노리는 떴다방"
- AmCham seminar explores health care as bigger part of Korea
- Marking 105th anniversary of independence, Poland highlights growing ties with Gyeonggi Province
- [Today’s K
- How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
- Posco Holdings recoups investment in Roy Hill after 13 years
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- [Weekender] Waiting on the North: Unified Korean dictionary project's long journey
- [Photo News] AI, conventional painting come together
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
- [Herald Interview] Nam Woo
- Former Hungarian ambassador receives Gwanghwa Medal
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- [Herald Interview] Korea ramps up high
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- Female Nexon employee berates 'misandrist gesture' in MapleStory video
- 류호정·장혜영의 ‘세번째권력’ “총선서 30석, 200만 득표가 목표”
- 군사력은 미국이 우위지만, 글로벌 공급망은 미·중 비등 [중앙포럼]
- 이상민 "현실적 선택지는 국민의힘…12월 초까지 거취 결정"
- [Today’s K
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- Yoon replaces spy agency leadership
- KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts
- 김용민 “尹, 총선 승리하면 계엄 선포할 것…저지선 확보해야”
- KB chief vows to nurture AI talents
- [Herald Review] Korean and Welsh dance companies share creativity in 'Wales Connection'
- ‘Smugglers’ wins best picture at 44th Blue Dragon Film Awards
- 홍준표, 하태경 종로 출마 선언에…"주사파 출신이 갈 곳 아니다"
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- [이번 주 리뷰]北,군사위성 발사…정부 온라인 장애속출(20~25일)